Topics/Keywords#3Dprintconf #3Dprinting 3D Printed Ceramic Objects 3D Printed Clothes 3D Printed Medical Marvels 3D Printed Object For 2D Printers 3D Printed Structures 3D Printer 3D Printer Filaments 3D Printers 3D Printers And Fashion 3D Printing and Schools 3D Printing App 3D Printing Conference 3D Printing Event 3D Printing Events 3D Printing In Action 3D Printing In Nature 3D Printing Jobs 3D Printing With Liquid Metal 3D Skull Implant 3D Systems 2013 Event A3DP.net allabout3dprinting.com Amazon Announcement announcment Automotive Business California Carbon Fiber Carbon Fiber 3D Printer CGI chat CNC Machine College Composite 3D Printer Conference Creating Jobs Crowdfunding Cubify Disney Do It Yourself (DIY) eBay Eco Friendly Education Environmentally Friendly Event events Expo Extruder facial reconstruction Filaments Forums General Motors Github Home Decor Housatonic Community College IndieGoGo Kickstarter Learn Manufacturing Learn To Design Lego London Event Make Money With Your 3D Printer Makershop.co mediabistro Medical Applications Microsoft Mini Metal Maker MIT NASA New York College Online Printer Shop Online shopping OpenID OpenID Foundation Parts For Toys And hobbyists Rapide One Recycled Plastics Rigidbot Robox Saving TIme And Money Shapeways site improvement Software Solidworks South Carolina Square One Stay Up To Date surgery teeth The Basics The Parts Of A 3D Printer United Kingdom Events USA Events Video What Is? Windows
- Rinstruct – Home of Instructions May 31, 2015
- UC Berkeley Makes An Artistic Structure From 3D Printed Cement Blocks April 15, 2015a3dp.net Last month, a UC Berkeley research team demonstrated the potential for 3D Printing and architectural applications. The team, led by associate architecture professor, Ronald Rael, constructed the largest recorded structure built using 3D Printed cement blocks which were individually Printed … Read More The post UC Berkeley Makes An Artistic Structure […]
- The Eng 3D Printed Smart Phone Cases June 15, 2014a3dp.net Unique 3D Printed Cases For Your Smart Phone! Eng Cases are high quality 3D Printed Smart Phone cases currently available for iPhone’s version 4 and up, Samsung Galaxy’s S4 and up, including the Note 3, and the Nexus 5. Rong, … Read More The post The Eng 3D Printed Smart Phone Cases appeared first on All About 3D Printing.
- Makers Local 256: Huntsville’s First Nonprofit Hackerspace March 14, 2014a3dp.net Makers Local 256 Huntsville‘s First Nonprofit Hackerspace Makers Local is an organization for nonprofit Hackerspaces and have established what we expect to be their first of many locations, in Huntsville, Alabama. If you aren’t sure what a Hackerspace is, they … Read More The post Makers Local 256: Huntsville’s First Nonprofit Hackerspace appeared f […]
- Robotic Automobile Welder Transformed Into A 3D Printer! March 3, 2014a3dp.net Robotic 3D Printer Arm Automobile Manufacturing Robot Changes Careers Joris Laarman is a designer who transformed an automated welding machine used for car manufacturing into a Robotic 3D Printer that can draw lines in mid-air and without the need for … Read More The post Robotic Automobile Welder Transformed Into A 3D Printer! appeared first on All […]
- Rinstruct – Home of Instructions May 31, 2015
Tag Archives: FilamentsImage
The two 3D printing materials we will discuss are PLA and ABS plastics. If to get very technical you can find out exactly what PLA plastic is here and ABS plastic here. These plastics are known as the filaments for 3D printers. It works the same way ink works in your home printer. ABS plastic is very flexible and durable and has been around for many years. It tolerates heat very well and it is easy to glue multiple pieces of ABS plastic together to construct larger objects. ABS is good for children’s toys as it is impact resistant.
PLA plastic is a newer plastic to be used for 3D printing that is more environmentally friendly even though it biodegrades slowly and not very easily. PLA plastic is tough but can be brittle, it also does not withstand heat as well as ABS plastic. Even with these drawbacks, PLA is favored in enclosed areas, such as your home, and around children or those with sensitive respiratory systems as PLA plastic generates less toxic fumes. If you are going to place your 3D printer in your garage or workshop then ABS plastic may be suitable with proper ventilation. The best choice is to purchase a 3D printer that can use both materials.
There are also two much newer filaments that are currently being experimented with to see if they offer any significant benefits over ABS or PLA, they are HDPE and PVA. We will discuss these filaments if they develop into mainstream 3D printer filaments as otherwise they would be too costly and the printer options too few. Most 3D printers use filaments that are a universal fit. The competition keeps quality up and prices down for filament.You can find information on additional filaments, their benefits, and the printers that use them on our website. Beware of 3D printers in which you can only use the manufacturers filaments!